Distributed Systems Archaeology: Works Cited
I have received many requests for a list of papers and books from my Ricon talk with links for downloading where applicable. In all but two cases, these works are freely available. The two which aren't are newer, commercially available books which I encourage you to pursue and purchase if possible.
Please note that for brevity, these works are listed by their primary authors but in many cases there were other authors involved. Additionally, many of the links below are direct downloads, please be prepared for that fact.
Where possible I have linked to the author's publication pages.
- Hodges, J "Notes on Distributed Systems for Young Bloods"
- Licklider, JCR "Memorandum For Members and Affiliates of the Intergalactic Computer Network"
- Licklider, JCR "Man-Computer Symbiosis"
- Licklider, JCR "The Computer as a Communication Device"
- Minsky, M "1968-1969 Progress Report"
- Hewitt, C "A Universal Modular ACTOR Formalism for Artificial Intelligence"
- Hewitt, C "Viewing Control Structures as Patterns of Passing Messages"
- Djikstra, E "Solution of a Problem in Concurrent Programming Control"
- Dijkstra, E "Self-stabilizing Systems in Spite of Distributed Control"
- Lynch, N "Impossibility of distributed consensus with one faulty process"
- Lynch, N "A Hundred Impossibility Proofs for Distributed Computing"
- Lynch, N "Brewer's conjecture and the feasibility of consistent, available, partition-tolerant web services"
- Lamport, L "SIFT: Design and Analysis of a Fault-Tolerant Computer for Aircraft Control "
- Lamport, L "High-Level Specifications: Lessons from Industry"
- Birman, K "A History of the Virtual Synchrony Replication Model"
- Cheriton & Skeen "Understanding the Limitations of Causally and Totally Ordered Communication"
- Birman, K "A Response to Cheriton and Skeen’s Criticism of Causal and Totally Ordered Communication"
- Birman, K "How the Hidden Hand Shapes the Market for Software Reliability"
- Birkman, K "Towards a Cloud Computing Research Agenda"
- Van Roy & Haridi "Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming"
- Varela, C "Programming Distributed Computing Systems: A Foundational Approach"
- Thurston, W "On Proof and Progress in Mathematics"
- Papadamitriou, C "Database Metatheory: Asking the Big Queries"